I can't believe this day is finally here! I've been waiting since January and it all seems so surreal. I spent a great quiet last day with my family and didn't have to say any goodbyes, which is exactly what I wanted.
I'll be in Philadelphia from Nov. 30-Dec. 3 and then I'll be flying from JFK to Belgium to Senegal and then to Guinea. So the time it will take to finally get to Conakry will be similar to the time it takes to get to Singapore. Kind of annoying, because the Atlantic Ocean is rather small in comparison to the Pacific, but whatevah.
I'll be in Conakry, the capital, from Dec. 4-9 and then I'm off to Forecariah, which is where I'll be training from then until March.
For those of you who want to send me letters, you can send them to:
Katie Ryan, PCT
Corps de la Paix
BP 1927, Conakry
Guinee (West Africa)
I've been told that the package receiving rate is about 50% so don't send me anything valuable! If you send me a book (which would be awesome) then tear the cover off or something like that to make it look undesirable. And write something about God ("Dieu" in French) on the front of the package...seriously...it will probably get to me intact AND faster (they are very superstitious in Guinea).
Sorry this posting isn't exactly eloquent. I'm exhausted and wanted to get some information up before I leave in five hours.
Love to you all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
This is something that I've been curious about... in South East Asia there's a country called "Papua New Guinea." If that's New Guinea, is the place that you're going to the 'old' Guinea that New Guinea refers to? Please let me know if you find this out -_-.
Best of luck with the whole Peace Corps experience, not being harassed by sketchy Guinean (is that the right adjective?) guys, cold showers, etc... I'm really excited to read this blog.
- Cameron
Katie-
Best of luck as you start on this grand adventure. I enjoy reading your blog and will write to you once you are settled in Guinea. Thanks for the address.
-Joe's Mom
I love you Katie!!! Have so much fun. I plan send you tons of worthless-looking things with theological French scribbled all over it. I miss you already. Mwaaaa!
Post a Comment