Well it's my last night in America for hopefully a long time. I say "hopefully" because so many things can go wrong. All volunteers were evacuated from Guinea this past February, and, while the political situation has stabilized, there's really no way of knowing it's going to stay that way.
I got to Philly safe and sound after a teary goodbye at SeaTac. Emily, Pammy and Rocky made their way over from D.C. and NYC just to hang out for a few hours and it was so good to see them again!
I've just finished orientation here in Philadelphia, which consisted mainly of going over Peace Corps' goals and various ice breakers. There was a fashion show going on in a function room next door to ours so it was funny to learn about the side effects of the Malaria prophylaxis (Larium) we'll be taking with the Electric Slide booming in the background. Everyone seems pretty cool, and I should say that only a few people embody the hippie stereotype that most people associate with Peace Corps volunteers. It's overwhelming not knowing anyone well, but that's sure to change soon enough.
I share my hotel room with another PC volunteer, Teale (pronounced like the color) who is awesome. We're spending our last night holed up in our room ordering room service and watching Harry Potter.
At this point I'm most nervous about the fact that in Guinea, intelligence is associated with men and older people in general. Being a young woman, people aren't going to expect me to be smart and may not react well to the projects I hope to start. This will be a HUGE change from Scripps College, where women's intelligence reigns supreme. I'm sure I'd be a lot more nervous about the move if I knew more of what to expect.
At orientation today, we were told that we won't have internet access in Forecariah, which is where I'll be training for the first three months. But we WILL have access in Conakry, so I'll be sure to write more in a few days. We probably won't have any phone access either, so letters will be the best way to contact me for my first three months in Guinea.
I'm still terrified. But that's why I'm doing the Peace Corps-- how could I not do something that scares me so much?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Interesting how fear and excitement tread a common theme. It goes to show that much of life is about the right perspective and attitude!
you're so amazing and i am so proud of you! i love you
i am so excited for you and miss you dearly. i wish you the best of everything... stay safe! much love xx
Post a Comment