Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Road to I.S.T.

(In photo: myself and Adams, my best friend in Mandiana, waiting at the taxi station. She is approximately 20, has an eight month old son and laughs easily. She is wonderful!)

Hello from Mamou! I'm here for the next week and a half with the rest of my stage, for IST (In-Service Training). We take nine hours of language classes and technical skills related to our sectors each day, and it's been pretty exhausting.

I only ended up having 20 hours in Mandiana because it took three days to get there. These are a few pictures of the trip back to Kankan from Mandiana. (In photo: the beginning of the Guinean Bush Taxi calendar G15 has begun to put together)
The bush taxi broke down beside a swamp and we sat on the side of the road for over an hour swatting at the millions of gnats trying to fly into our ears/eyes.

It has been AMAZING to see all the other Americans here in Mamou. I've missed them all so much! All the guys grew out some serious mustaches during their first three months at site, and it was great seeing them all with so much funny facial hair.



Exhibit A: David sporting not only a rad mustache, but chest hair in the shape of Guinea.
Exhibit C: Most of the men sporting their 'staches.

Unfortunately, three people left permanently in the first month, but we haven't lost anyone else since then. We've all been drinking and joking and having a fantastic time. I've tried posting the video of my hut, but it is taking way too long (over an hour). I'll try again in Conakry. Miss you all.

P.S. THANK YOU TO DAVID'S MOM FOR SENDING ME MILKY WAY MIDNIGHTS!!!!!!

2 comments:

Alex Salkin said...

K-Teeeee

I miss you! I'm graduating tomorrow, and guess what? i got a 4.0 for this semester. nice, huh? actually, its because I took two classes pass-fail. I sent you a letter almost 3 months ago, but i never got a response. I guess it never got to you. I'm glad to hear that you're doing well- everyone over here is so proud of you. I'm going home for a month and then I join the forest service in july- amanda and I are fighting forest fires this summer. fun, huh? Anyway, I hope you're well and I think about you every once in a while. Good Luck!
Alex

M. Unit said...

Hey, Rab! The photos and captions are such fun! The material in your skirt is FANTASTIC (the one with you doing a cheesecake pose with the bush taxi . ..). It looks like all good times and hi-jinks when you're with the other PC's, as it should be. And the guy who shaved his chest hair in the shape of Guinea is a RIOT. You can't make up stuff like that. And to have photographic proof is very special.