
Last few moments on American soil. We all held hands as the plane took off. That's Emily on the left (we miss you!) and me on the right, with Schwegs in the middle.

Not an uncommon sight-- monkey on a leash at a basketball game.

Me on the road to Faralako chasing away some annoying kids. You should have seen their faces. I don't think they'd been run after by a white woman before.

Alison, cook extraordinaire, sitting at her table in Faralako. She made bean burgers with gravy and candied vegetables. It may not sound incredible to you, but in Guinea, that meal is quite a feat.

Once a month, we take the Peace Corps mail run into Kankan. The mail run is the Peace Corps mail delivery system, because Guinea doesn't have a functional postal service (it doesn't exist outside of Conakry). In the photo, we have myself and Alison hanging onto the roll bars for dear life-- the road is so potholed that you can't sit in the car without banging your head against the window, not unless you hold onto something.

At Le Daumier, the nicest restaurant in Conakry. Amy and I forgot we were in Guinea for almost an hour. We also gained about four million lbs.
I've been in Conakry for two weeks now because the doctors wanted to make sure my infection went away before they shipped me back to site. Then, I got really sick and everyone thought I had malaria for about four days. No worries-- I'm healthy now. I'm back off to Kankan tomorrow, then onto Mandiana on the 30th. I'll be back in Mandiana for four whole days before I have to leave for In-Service Training (IST) in Mamou.
No comments:
Post a Comment