Tuesday, April 15, 2008

So, I had a little surgery in a Guinean hospital...


Yep, pretty much the material of a nightmare. I'm in a lot of pain right now so I'm not going to edit this. I've had an ingrown toenail for the past month and it got incredibly infected...eventually got a fever because the infection spread to the rest of my body. 'Twas not a good time. So, the Medical Officer had me sent down to Conakry to get a little chirurgie. Amy, the Kankan volunteer, also needed some surgical attention, so we were taken down together in the Haute SUV. This is a video of part of the journey (yes I'm aware I look like crap and sorry it's so bumpy...that's how all roads in Guinea are. Actually, we were on one of the nicest roads in Guinea at the time).


We spent the night in Mamou, which is midway through Guinea and left Mamou at 5 AM to get to Conakry in time for our 12 P.M. surgical appointments. It was nice to have the big car to ourselves-- we stretched out in the back and were able to sleep for most of the fifteen hour trip.

OK, so I arrived at the "hospital" pretty damn nervous about what was about to happen. I'd seen Guinean hospitals before, and they are by no means sterile. So, I arrived and met with a Romanian doctor, who is apparently bff with our Romanian medical officer. They spoke in Romanian about my toe and then decided to operate. So, the doctor sent a nurse off to go grab something to soak my toe in, and he came back with an empty paint bucket filled with bleach water. There was still paint in the bucket. Oh Guinea... (that's Amy's Tigger on the little gurney)


After soaking le foot, the doc told me he needed to give me a shot of antibiotics. I said, "alright, where?" The nurse's response: "Just drop your pants, please." Then they ushered me back to a changing room and had me put on scrubs and a little hat, which was hilarious because the operating room was equipped with rusty instruments and had leaks in the ceiling.


I watched the nurse thoroughly clean all the instruments, don't worry. They didn't use anything rusty or dirty on me-- I made sure of that.


The Peace Corps medical officer held my hand the entire time and distracted me by talking about the cheeseburger and milkshake he was going to take me out to after the surgery. It was the perfect distraction.
Amy took this picture right before I had my toe cut open. They gave me two shots of local anesthesia and then sliced my toe open, cut off about half an inch of nail and then sewed it back up. I admit, this whole experience was terrifying. But, Peace Corps took care of me and I am now walking around with a giant blue booty on my right foot. Stylish? No. But at least I don't have an impacted toenail anymore.


P.S. A BIG hello to all the new volunteers coming here this summer! I can't wait to meet you all!!!! As much as I like to complain, Guinea is really awesome.


P.P.S. HI BING!!!!!

No comments: