Monday, May 12, 2008

My experience in Guinea thus far in numbers

hours I’ve spent hovering over a toilet/pit-latrine/random patch of land on side the side of the road: 18

marriage proposals I’ve received: at least 34

people that fit into a five-seat taxi (not counting chickens, goats, cows or donkeys): 12, sometimes more

people that ride on the roof of a five-seat taxi: 2-7

average number of times a bush taxi breaks down between Kankan and Mandiana: 3

potholes/lakes on the road between Mandiana and Kankan: infinity

guinean children in my usual entourage: 12

lizards that have leaped onto my face: 1

volunteers in country when our stage arrived: 10

volunteers in my stage in early December: 37

volunteers in my stage as of May: 32

nalgenes-full of water I drink in a given day: 7

nalgenes-full of water I probably sweat out each day: 5

temperature in Mandiana during the day: 115

temperature in Mandiana at night: 88

highest fever I’ve had in country: 104

scorpions I’ve killed: 1

spiders I’ve killed: approximately 67

hours I sleep a night: 10

guinean meals I’ve actually enjoyed: 1 (this was the meal on Tabaski)

SPF I wear daily: 40

surgeries I’ve had in-country: 1

books I’ve read: 11

diaries I’ve filled with writing: 1

packages I’ve received in-country: 11 (thank you to those who have sent them, I now worship you)

hours it takes to get from Conakry to Mandiana via bush taxi: 19-23

Guinean Francs per American dollar: 5,080

our monthly allowance: 800,000 Guinean Francs

weight when I arrived in Guinea: 145

lowest weight in-country: 120

weight as of today: 130

Number of times…

I’ve dropped my cell phone in a pile of human fecal matter: 1

I salue (greet) people between the hours of eight and nine A.M.: 612

I’ve seriously considered going home: 2 (those were my first two nights in Forecariah)

I’ve seen Bin Laden’s face on random objects (ex: trucks, wallets…): 50 (Guineans appear to think that he’s like J Lo or Madonna)

I’ve been butted by a goat: 1

we’re allowed to leave our site a month: not enough

I’ve seen people EATING blocks of Styrofoam like candy bars: 2

Guineans have asked me “Etes-vous Madame ou bien Madamoiselle?” (are you married or single?): 2,000

Guineans have asked me to buy them a ticket to America: 107

I run back and forth across my hut for exercise on a given day: 700 (people would flip out if they saw me running in spandex for no apparent reason, so I exercise inside)

a day I don’t even bother translating what people say to me: at least 10 times

I shave my legs each month: 1 (right before I go into Kankan for my monthly visit)

I see a mirror on an average day: 0

I’ve been urinated on: 2

my host mom has grabbed my breasts to tell me I need to start having babies: at least 17

I’ve smiled because there is no way I could ever make this stuff up: every day

4 comments:

Itamar Eitan said...

that was amazing. I am laughing. I think my favorite was the number of times your host mother grabs your breast to tell you need to have babies (17)! haha. miss you. sending you 'energy'!

Annelise Noel Cohon said...

Wow! You are having the adventure of a lifetime and truly enjoying or laughing the most you can! I am so proud of you and AM SO JEALOUS I AM NO THERE!! You have been inspiring me in so many ways, even if you are not here to see it! I leave for Israel July 1st so get ready, i'm coming after you!

jnemer said...

I laughed out loud about the mom grabbing your breast. Love you!

Field Conservation said...

Hey Katie,
Monica here, your Mom's friend. It is so great to read all of what you wrote, I am so selfishly pleased that you take the time to put all of that in your blog. I'll never be able to experience anything like that, so feel very privileged to do it vicariously through your blog! You are so brave! My oh my oh my!!!