Tuesday, July 1, 2008

MY HUT

Before I give you the tour of my hut, I'd like to preface it with a photo of what it looked like when I first arrived in Mandiana. Behold a prison cell/murder scene/crack den. This is what the same wall looks like now. There are weird splotches on the wall because I made my own wall patch (thanks, you can call me Martha) out of dirt and paint to cover the holes in the wall. This is what you see as soon as you walk through the door. The metal trunks are very Guinean-- I keep my electronics locked in the larger one, and I keep my special American food in the one on the right. The pink and purple "rug" is a plastic prayer mat, which Guineans generally use as sofas, and, obviously, something to pray on.
Further to the right, I have my "deux-place" bed and book/clothing shelf. The plastic tarp above the bed is to prevent debris falling from the thatch roof during high winds. I hanged the red and yellow fabric over the plastic tarp so that I could have something prettier to look at as I fall asleep.


My bed, with a twin mattress (for visitors) leaning on the wall by my bed. The three yellow containers on the right are "bidons"and they hold all of the water I drink. Underneath the bed you can find my many cans of bug spray, Peace Corps papers and toilet paper.




This is my front door. It isn't actually hot pink-- the camera flash makes it look much more fluorescent than it actually is. To the right of the door is my kitchen shelving which is covered by a pagne (piece of fabric) I bought at the market. PCV's encouraged us to cover our belongings with fabric so that Guineans don't see all the stuff we have. The big plastic white thing is my water filter, and the hanging basket is for food I don't want mice or ants to eat. My walls are crumbling in, mais c'est la vie en Guinee.


And then further to the right is my kitchen table complete with my gas powered stove. In the photo is Annelise, my old boss, preparing food with my new boss, Yvonne, in the blue in white. This photo connects to the first photo I uploaded.

This is my hut! This is where I go to sleep and wake up and cook every single day. I went for reallllly bright colors because life can get pretty lonely way out in the boonies of Africa. Hope you enjoyed the tour : )

1 comment:

Mark said...

Hey Katie, it's Mark, we recently had the opportunity to met in Kankan while I was there on my Fulbright trip. Just got finished looking at your blog, like your hut, wish I could have seen it in person. I'm back in the USA and I have to say it's great! I've been updating my blog on a regular basis and wanted to invite you to take a look if you have the chance. Address is www.dobsfulbright.wordpress.com I really enjoyed having the opportunity of meeting you and wish we could have spoken more. Your presentation to the Fulbright team was great and I wanted to thank you again for your time and efforts. Loved the dress you were wearing! Keep in touch.

- Mark