Hey guys!
Just wanted to let you know I'm alive and in KanKan for the next few days. All volunteers in Upper Haute were invited to come into the city to meet with the American ambassador, who is in town to meet with US aid organizations and make speeches at the local universities. It has been AMAZING to hang out with other Americans. To just speak English and have electricity is so wonderful.
The first 10 days at site were pretty rough, because my counterpart and the entire DPS were gone for some health conference, so I didn't have anything to do but sit in my hut and read. To keep myself from going insane with boredom, I've painted my front door magenta and am teaching myself to cook (I can make spring rolls now!). I've also waged a full out war on my hut's ant population. I'm winning. We're not really allowed to do anything for our first few months at site aside from interview people, so I suppose that's what I'll be doing when I return.
It's getting reallllly hot here. I'm talking so hot that you can't even sleep on a mattress. I just move my top sheet onto the tile floors to sleep. Not at all comfortable, but at least it's not 100 degrees.
I'm sorry this blog isn't eloquent nor too informative. I'm paying for this internet and the connection is soooo slow. Rest assured, I'll supply you with more stories the next time I come into town which will be on the 16th of March. All the volunteers from Upper and Lower Haute are getting together and we're having an evil leprechaun party for St. Patrick's Day. Should be a lot of fun!
Sweatily yours,
Katie
P.S. My address has stayed the same. Just write PCV instead of PCT after my name. Send me letters, magazines, food (!!!!!), or, better yet, yourself.
P.S.S. If you are really wanting to get something to me in a package, hide the item in a tampon box. No one will mess with it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thanks for the tip about hiding stuff in a tampon box! That sounds like a good idea. Hope things get more exciting soon--in the meantime, congrats on your newfound cooking skills :) Love you and miss you desperately...
hi kate!!! it's nice to read all your adventures in Africa. Your blog is very interesting and fun to read. I'm glad you still have your sense of humor inspite of all the inconveniences that you have to go through. I AM SOOOOO PROUD OF YOU!!! Wish i can be there and help you with your cooking!! :) I will let jessa know all about your adventures. Always take care of yourself!! Love you and miss you lots!!!
Hi, Rab! I love it that Bing is following your adventures all the way from Singapore! Your posts are delightfully interesting and SO much fun to read. Keep 'em coming.
Post a Comment